Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Plan for my Entryway

A month ago I shared my entryway decorating dilemma, I also said I would share my ideas for how to address the space.

But I lied. I never shared my ideas.

Because I was waiting for Amanda's totally cool Show Me The Progress Party. And it's finally here! ( I wish there was cake involved. sigh.)



I got some awesome feedback! Thanks everyone, your comments got me thinking!

Let's start with the Big, Bad, Blank Wall.



There were quite a few votes for turning this space into a photo/kids art gallery. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I have plans to do that in the hallway connected to the entry. Kendall read my mind with her suggestion of the Samantha Collection from PB. My husband is currently building me the shelf (and for a lot less than $229, thankyouverymuch). I think it'll look great and be the perfect place to stash our cell phones and keys, and I know I can find some super cute hooks to add to the bottom.

Unfortunately the bench won't work as there is a register in an awkward spot on the floor :(
What will work is a smaller, open bottom bench. I'm trying to thrift one, and then maybe recover the seat with burlap and a fun number stencil. And maybe some black ball fringe, because that just sounds fun. And I'm going to try to make a small boot tray to stash under the bench, but not block the register. I'm thinking a cheap baking sheet and some spray paint...

Meg read my mind and suggested the umbrella stand project from Little Green Notebook. I loved the idea when I saw it, but never thought I had a good place for it. Now I'm pretty sure it would look excellent next to the skinny window. And it'll be the perfect spot for a monogram.

Let's move to the front door wall. It was a snore-fest.

Big time.



A few suggested I paint the basket, but I paid a lot of money for it back when I though that Longaberger baskets were more important than groceries (I've since moved on to expensive hand bags). So no paint, but I'm happy to report I ditched the wretched silk greenery. I realized I had a little copper tag with our family name that came with the basket, so I attached that to the front. It still looks like it's floating in a sea of nothingness. I do have a few more baskets I can hang next to the door to fill out the wall there. And above the door, I'm planning on adding a wall decal (potentially on a hunk of MDF as we will be painting the walls soon (hopefully)). I was thinking of these cute birdies in all black.

And then there's the floor. I had been thinking of making a very rustic styled (so that it can get dirty and fade, etc) floor cloth from a drop cloth. Amanda also suggested it, so now I'm sold :) I'm thinking a black/white harlequin pattern would look nice.

That's it. My plan, influenced by all of you :) Thanks!

Also, thanks for all of the nice comments on the buffet in my entryway. It's an antique from my great-grandmother's home in Detroit (which, like most of the city, is no longer there). It has some issues, but one day I'll have it restored, I'm pretty attached to it. I also have the matching dining table with a super cool barrel base - Mimi (my great-gram) used to hide her booze and money in it! Isn't that a hoot?!

10 comments:

pixie said...

'Tis the season for redecorating... we just finished remodeling, and I still feel like there's more to do.

May I suggest hooks, hooks, and more hooks? I put rows of hooks all over the house to keep things off the floor!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Hi there!! :) I think you have definitely got a game plan going! Love the idea of an open bottom bench, and I would love to see if you do the drop cloth floor thing. Great ideas going on! :)

Thanks so much for linking up. I hope you have fun "mingling" at the party. :)

Heather said...

P.S. I wouldn't mind cake....... :)

Heather said...

I am loving the plan so far! I and I love Meg and Kendall! :) Entryways are awesome - and open bottom benches and umbrella stands add so much coziness and functionality! Can't wait to see the afters - good luck!!

Laura said...

Cake does sound good...

I like your ideas for your entry way. It's gonna be great. I can't wait to see it!

McCarthy Designs said...

The plans for your entry way sound great I can't wait to see the results. Good luck on finding the bench!
I stopped by from the 'Show me the progress' party.
Nellie xx

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

Yay, I love the plans! I can't wait to see your umbrella stand :).

Meg said...

Aw, yay! I got a shout out? I feel like the cool kid on the block. Your ideas are all very cute! Love the bench, umbrella holder, homemade shelf (that's the way to show them!) and really, everything else. In fact, I'd never even heard of the floor cloth idea before! Really cool! I can't wait to see all of your ideas come to fruition.

And yes, I totally love the buffet too!

Leslie said...

I can't wait to see the finished photos b/c the plan sounds fab!

Paula said...

Sounds like you have a great plan. Sometimes I think that deciding what you want to do is the hardest part of a project.