Tuesday, May 06, 2008

milestones

Yesterday Gerald turned 2 months old. I'm having a hard time remembering what life was like before he arrived :)

This morning we went to the Dr. and Gerald was immunized. He cried for about 30 seconds, as soon as I could pick him up and love on him he settled right down. He's such a good boy! He now weighs 10.5 pounds, and is 23 inches long. His legs are finally pudgy enough to wear socks! And because I bought him a bouncer, he is taking naps during the day :) which makes me happy because he isn't as cranky in the evening and I can get a few things done. He's also graduated out of the "football hold" for nursing (holding him next to me) and I can easily nurse him while holding him in front. This makes nursing a lot easier, especially without the boppy.

"I love my bouncer!"

The Dr. did say something about Gerald's tongue. I had noticed that he is a little tongue-tied, his frenulum (little bit of skin under your tongue that connects to the bottom of your mouth) is long and so his tongue doesn't stick out very far and looks a bit forked. Since he has no problems nursing it isn't really a big concern, it might just fix itself. But once he starts talking if it proves to be a speech impediment the Dr. will just snip it (in the office) and we should be just fine. So I'm trying not to worry, we'll see how well that goes.

6 comments:

AJ said...

He looks SOOOOO precious in that pic! I love it. I want to smooch him!

The flap of skin between your top lip and your gums is also your frenulum. Most kids rip their's by playing/falling....Ava hasn't ripped hers yet so when Noah ripped his before he turned 1 I freaked out. It bled so much. I don't do well with injuries, especiall bloody ones! But I guess it's the same situation where if kids don't rip them on their own, some kids need them snipped to avoid speech impediments.

Unknown said...

Both a niece and a nephew of mine had their snipped. Both quickly spoke more clearly afterwards. Both sets of parents wished they would of had it done sooner.

Kara said...

Happ 2 months. He looks so peaceful in the bouncer. Glad that he is starting to take naps during the day so you can do a few things.

Laura said...

Amen to naps sista! That is what keep this mommy from drinking! ;) PS- Thanks for the postcard. You rock my world!

Merissa C. Piazza said...

Happy Birthday big guy. Look at all that hair! You are doing a great job Alanna!

Anonymous said...

does Gerald dye his hair? sometimes it looks dark and sometimes light. cute none-the-less.
I'm glad the bouncer is helping w/ the nap situation. I'll call you tomorrow.