Friday, June 18, 2010

The Old College Try

I've not done very much with my little home lately.

I've been busy ;)

I decided that today was my day to jump back into pursuits of home beatification, at least temporarily - okay, so for like 20 minutes I could do something around here.

I chose the front door.


incredibly boring people live here


Earlier this week my mom was in town and I jumped on the opportunity to visit Hobby Lobby by myself. It was fabulous, and all of the silk plants were half off.

This is where you all recoil in horror - Silk plants! The shame! - they aren't my first choice, either. But after a few years of trying to get something to grow in my worse-than-full-shade planting box, I decided to just go faux. I needed some color!


color! better than a spray tan


I haphazardly threw the "arrangement" together. I don't get many front door visitor - the UPS man does not count because he ignores the little "please don't ring the bell."sign I put out during nap time - so I'm looking for some impact from the street.

I threw the floral foam into the bottom of my planter, and then literally jammed the floral stems into it. I didn't even take the time to cut the stems apart or anything (I might do that later, but probably not).


don't tell Martha


Then I swapped out my spring wreath for my summer one, pulled out a little table I've had in storage for years and plunked a giant pinwheel in the planter box.


a bit more summery


I now realize that my summer wreath is incredibly faded - the bright colors have turned almost autumnal - so I'll be on the lookout for a fresh replacement. The little table obviously needs something, I think it would look cheerful with a potted fern on top (which might not die in such a shaded spot) and a garden statue at the base. And I'm undecided on the pinwheel (I think it might be too big?). I'd also like to add a smaller planter full of more silk flowers and maybe a few real live ivy plants trailing out of the planter box.

Who has some feedback for me?

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Looks great. Maybe lower the pinwheel so it isn't blocking the flowers?

Wouldn't go with live ivy, b/c it seems to have a mind of its own and is very hard to get rid of, although maybe if you kept it trimmed it wouldn't be too bad?

Danielle and Clint said...

Awww...I love it! Great creative thinking with the new pot! What about doing a smaller more colorful pot on the table? Maybe a grass green mat in front of the door? I have to say, I LOVE your light fixture!

alanna rose said...

Caroline - I think you're right - the pinwheel is too high up. Good call on the ivy, I'll have to think about it more.

Danielle - Thanks! I'm with you on a more colorful pot, but I hadn't thought about a colorful mat... :)

Breanna said...

I think this looks great!

I love that summer wreath...the colors are great against the color of your door.

How about hanging a few (3-4) white lanterns/birdhouses (think TJ Maxx or Marshalls) to the right of the door (above the plant)? They would be outdoorsy enough for the space, but still a little funky and unexpected.