Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mother's Day Cheesecake! aka NOMS!

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day!

I certainly did :) - my little sister came to visit and we put her to work on Fri. night and headed out for a fan-cee dinner and charity event. I even dressed up - squee! Sat. and Sun. were relaxed and nice, and my parents came down for Mother's Day. Mom brought most of dinner (steaks on the grill!) and I provided corn on the cob and dessert.

At first I was going to buy something, maybe a fruit pie, but while flipping through a very random copy of Ladies' Home Journal (pretty sure it accidentally came home from the Dr.'s office) I spotted a cream cheese ad with super yummy pictures. The recipe was EASY and although not my usual style of baking, I decided to give it a whirl.

Peanut loved it!


You can find the recipe here by searching for "Philadelphia Vanilla Mousse Cheesecake." (Sorry there's no direct link!)

I served it with a bowl of fresh strawberries, and while it was great on Sun, we all agreed it was even better after sitting in the fridge overnight.

I was originally a little hesitant about the recipe because the topping uses Cool Whip, and I'm not a huge fan of fake whipped cream (although there are some recipes it works great in). In the future I think I'll play around with using real whipped cream and stabilizer. The cheesecake itself was super easy and really good, I think it would also taste great made with a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice and served with a simple blob of freshly whipped cream. I also think a sweet pretzel crust would be a great trade for the Nilla Wafer crust.

Happy Belated Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

It sounds really yummy and I like the idea of playing around with a recipe until it's just perfect. :) Thanks for the visit today!