Monday, August 31, 2009

lemons

Last week life handed me lemons.

I was trying to be a caring and supportive friend and went to a funeral. I even went to the graveside service. And karma sent me a non-functioning transmission as a parting gift.

Yep, in the middle of the funeral procession my car (it's the car my husband usually drives) died. So I parked it next to the corn field (this, of course could not have happened in town), hopped into another car and called the hubs. We had an excellent conversation.

It cost $85 to have the car towed to the mechanic in town.
The repair will be at least $1800.

Awesome!

We had planned, for months, to go up to the Upper Peninsula for Labor Day weekend for a college reunion. Not anymore :(

So now my plan for finding money has been kicked into hyper drive. I think it would feel really good if I have a large chunk of cash ready to pay off this bill once the credit card statement comes in (we get cash back, so we put all large expenses on the card).

I just listed a leftover case of diapers and some curtains that we recently replaced (as in we replaced them yesterday) on Craigslist. I'll let you know how it goes...

1 comment:

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I hate it when I have to spend large chunks of money on things that aren't fun!! Maybe the karma part comes from it happening right as you try to find money? I'm rooting for you on this one!