Thursday, October 09, 2008

the haps

We've been busy...

*trip to Muskegon to visit with J's family and go to a baby shower, Gerald is not a very good rider after 2 hours... sort of turns the car ride into hell.
*swimming classes! Next week J is coming with to take pictures - it will be the only time a picture of me in my bathing suit will appear on the blog...EVER.
*we were supposed to go to the pumpkin patch on Wed, but it rained :( so we just went to play group instead.
*last night I drove up to Ann Arbor to attend a baking class at Zingermann's. It was awesome! I would highly recommend a class there. I took the class with my mom, we learned how to make German pretzels, and we used lye! I made a dozen pretzels and brought them home; we had some for breakfast and some for dinner and I took a few over to the neighbor's because she watched Gerald this morning while I had a dentist appointment. I learned a few interesting things - we used leaf lard, which was new to me. It's the lard that surrounds the pig's liver (or maybe it was kidney?), and it is a liquid at room temperature. It is also the purest lard in the pig. And we also had a great discussion on the different flours available, and another about yeast. So fun, so informative, so yummy!

5 comments:

Laura said...

I hear you on the hellish car rides. We will not travel unless it is during nap time.

mel_fitz said...

hmm. glad it was fun. and glad it wasn't me. if it has more than, say, 7 ingreedients, i'm not cooking it. i would eat the german pretzels though...

Baby Love said...

mmm.. sounds good. I love baking. :) Wish that I could bake more.

Kara said...

Can't wait to see swim lesson pics. I still haven't had the girls signed up for that, but definitely next year and maybe even in the spring.

AJ said...

Mmmmm, pretzels.....now that is all I will think about!